Day: October 28, 2017


K Sports Men’s 3rd XI vs Herne Bay Men’s 5th XI

K Sports knew this game would be a hard one, but Herne Bay piled the pressure on in the first half, with attack after attack. Had it not been for Mike Newmarch in goal, and Chris Starling in defence, Herne Bay would have scored 3 or 4 goals. For K Sports, the first half was frustrating, and they just didn’t get their game together. There was some solid defending, creativity in the middle, and up front but the final ball lacked any quality.

A stern team talk at half time seemed to do the trick, and K Sports came out with a greater sense of purpose. They started taking the game to Herne Bay, and managed to fire home an equaliser. Herne Bay rallied and came back at K Sports, but the team held firm. K Sports never stopped trying, and with a few minutes to go snatched the winning goal. Another fighting performance for the newly formed 3rd team.


Burnt Ash (Bexley) Ladies 6th XI vs K Sports Ladies 2nd XI

This match had the makings of an epic drama as K Sports travelled to play Burnt Ash 6th XI. The script was full of free flowing hockey and showed the away side’s flair in their team play and willingness to sacrifice for others.

This was never so true as Naomi Duthie took on the goalkeeping duties, so Lorraine Mullaly could stretch her legs on field. She had a very understated game between the posts and to an untrained eye could be forgiven that she was the team’s regular. She cleared with confidence and kept the goal intact until the dying seconds. One save was straight out of the Mullaly manual, as she prevented a cross reaching a lurking forward who would have had an empty goal to fill had she not cleared.

Player of the Match, Anusha Shivji, played her best game to date for the club. She began to win possession before playing some lovely passes to Sharon Turville and Phil Ward, and all three were unlucky not to add their name to the score sheet. The defence had to maintain their discipline as Burnt Ash were a constant threat, and with Kat Lichfield, Tracy Smith and Jen Divall playing as the reliable unit they have become there was an assurance about the K Sports display.

The goal was crafted out of heart of the K Sports ability to allow the ball to work for the team. Returning to the fray was Sarah Clarke, who played the ball to Ward, whose clever lift over her opponents stick gave her the chance to exploit the space she had manipulated for herself. She then passed the ball onto Turville, whose link play can’t be underestimated turned the ball to Mullaly to score the opening goal.

While Sarah Wheal was having her usual selfless game out on the left for K Sports, Fi Percival was helping Clarke, Turville and Mullaly link play with a generosity which helped to produce some moments of magic which Turville and Anusha Shivji could not quite convert.

The equaliser from Burnt Ash was heartbreaking for the K Sports side, as it came with only moments to spare. However, as ever K Sports were buzzing after another terrific display by the team. They play Burnt Ash 5th XI next Saturday.


K Sports Men’s 1st XI vs Canterbury Men’s 5th XI

K Sports 1st XI were looking to get back to winning ways after a couple of narrow losses in the previous weeks.
A youthful Canterbury side arrived at Thomas Aveling School, for what would be K Sports last home game before moving back to the club, following the completion of the newly built hockey pitch at K Sports (Cobdown).

The game started at a high pace, with Canterbury knocking at the door of the K sports goal. But the defensive line-up of Nick Shread, Scott Montgomery and Mark O’Brian refused to let the ball get to goal keeper Keith Aide. It would be K sports that broke the deadlock when the ball was worked around the back to Mark O’Brian, who fired a pin point pass into the D for James Clarkely to deflect into the top left-hand corner of the Canterbury goal.

The away team replied with a goal of their own from a short corner to make it 1-1.

This spurred the home into action and where back into the lead following a short corner routine of their own which Ewan Hendry put away with power and precision. He would find himself on the score sheet again minutes later following some great build up play from the midfield of Alex and Richard Thorogood, James Clarkely, Ben Newmarch and Mike Nock who took a quick free hit to supply Hendry at the top of the D which was fired into the back board. To make the score 3-1 at half time.

In the second half, Canterbury started the brightest and again probed the K sports goal, but they were held at bay by some fine saves from Keith Aide.

The lead increased for the Home side when Matt Sharp finished sublimely following some tenacious play from Paul Cook who was in rampant form all game and gave Canterbury no room for error at the back.

Canterbury then scored another goal which skipper Neil Mitchell held his hand up for a mistake made.
Ben Newmarch scored to take K sports into a 5-2 lead after Dave Wood supplied the youngster with an inch perfect pass.

Wood then won a penalty corner for the home side which Ewan Hendry smashed into the near corner to complete his hattrick, and put the home side 6-2 advantage, however Canterbury did not hold back and kept attacking the K Sports Goal and won a penalty corner of their own which was drag flicked with power into the top netting of K Sports goal.

The game was not finished, as both sides continued to ask questions of each other’s defences. It would be K Sports’ Mike Nock who scored the final goal of the game with a powerful back hand shot from the top of the D. To make the final score 7-3.

Ewan Hendry was named Man of the Match for a superb performance and his hattrick, but every player in the squad deserved the now coveted T-Shirt.

Next Week the 1st XI travel to Burnt Ash with a 12:00 push back. Supporters Welcome.


K Sports Ladies 1st XI vs University of Kent Ladies 1st XI

K Sports Ladies 1st XI turned out early on a chilly morning ready to play the University of Kent with a raw memory of a high goal deficit last season.The play began with a very young opposition moving the ball around using lots of pitch space. Kobs intercepted well, creating some good counter attacks.

15 minutes into the first half, University of Kent scored when the receiving attacker turned and hit the ball between the feet of the K Sports defender and into the goal.

Undeterred, Kobs battled on using their experience to outsmart the youngsters. Kayleigh Smith, playing her 1st team debut, linked up well with Shona Mcallan driving the ball forwards. Jo Fowler and Fiona Percival caused havoc in midfield when a free hit from Percival found Fowler, and resulted in Percival expertly crossing the ball into the D and Kayleigh Smith converting her receiving touch into a goal.

With high spirits, K Sports commenced the second half against the opposition with renewed energy. Canterbury also came out strong, resulting in some amazing saves from Player of the Match, Lorraine Mullally.

Clare Ayes and Charlie Frampton on the back line battled hard, creating problems for Uni of Kent time and again.
Kobs pushed hard and responded to this onslaught with a team determination, as Kirsty Wood battled her way along the wing. A free hit taken quickly by Karen Swinson saw the opposition goalkeeper defending the ball from her strike, but the rebound was caught by Sharon McAllan who executed a swift reaction and earned Kobs their second goal.

Again Uni of Kent responded to this and after the award of a short corner the ball was struck hard and found its way into the goal. A sterling and professional game of hockey showing great team spirit and determination.