K Sports Men;s 1st XI travelled to Westlands school this week to play Gore Court in the first league match following the Festive break. The Squad welcomed Nick Shread back into the team, following a couple of months off with injury. Shread fitted into the back line seamlessly, playing alongside James Clarkely and Andy Mendl with Alister Burt shepherding them from the goalkeeper’s position.

K Sports found themselves 1-0 up after 3 minutes when Ewan Hendry Picked the ball up just inside the Gore Court half, rode some interesting challenges, then danced his way into the D and made the keeper commit himself. Hendry then flicked the ball with his reverse stick over the stranded keeper into the netting.

K Sports exerted a lot of pressure onto the home teams defence. Jon Stiff was next on the score sheet, following some fantastic build up play which saw Mike Nock feed Stiff at the top of the D, who hit a reverse stick into the top corner with aplomb.

More pressure was added by the lads in Black, Red and White and it told, as the challenges by the home side got very tired. Ewan Hendry had to go off of the pitch with a hand injury, and would spend the rest of the match in the dugout. Normal service was resumed just before half time when Dave Wood scored form a Penalty Corner to increase K Sports lead and take them 3-0 up into half time.

At half time skipper Neil Mitchell urged the team to keep playing the passing game and utilise the width that was being created by the forward line of Paul Cook and David Wood who were pulling the defence apart with there off the ball runs.

K Sports started the second half the way they had the first, on the front foot and were awarded a penalty corner. The initial flick was well saved by the Gore Keeper but Neil Mitchell pounced onto the loose ball and placed the ball into the goal.

Richard Thorogood who had worked tirelessly on the left wing scored a team goal that was just sublime to be part of or watch. It was the culmination of around 30 passes all around the pitch.
Thorogood then turned provider as he set up Dave wood for his second of the match followed by applying the assist to Matt Sharps goal.

The home team got a consolation goal as finally a big shelled ball from the back got though.

Andy Mendl won man of the match for his tenacious running, defending and passing. But everyone played the game well and the side deserved the 3 points.

Next week we host Old Willies at K Sports with a 12:30 pushback Supporters are most welcome.


Date Time League Season
13th January 2018 3:00 pm Kent Men’s League Open Premier B 2017/18


Westlands School
Westlands Ave, Sittingbourne ME10 1PA, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Gore Court Men’s 4th XI011Loss
K Sports Men’s 1st XI347Win

K Sports Men’s 1st XI

Ewan Hendry
Jon Stiff
10Matt Sharp Midfielder
17Neil Mitchell Defender
37Richard Thorogood Midfielder
43Dave Wood Forward
61Mike Nock Midfielder
Andy Mendl